Book Title: Hey admissionsmom: REAL TALK from reddit, a no-nonsense, unconventional approach to college admissions from the voices of r/ApplyingToCollege
Author: Carolyn Allison Caplan and the voices of r/ApplyingToCollege
# of Pages: 379
Review: I love this book. It is a fantastic resource for all things during the college admission process.
Some of my favorite chapters are:
- Letters of Recommendations (with a cheat sheet)
- Do I need a Resume?
- The Rankings of a College
- Liberal Arts Colleges
- Disciplinary Infractions
- The Importance of Demonstrating Interest
If you have a question about the admission process, more than likely, it is covered in this book. I love it when Carolyn includes her thoughts in a chapter as her practical advice is fantastic.
There is a Gen Z Glossary – oh my goodness, I love it!
Carolyn’s inclusion of two specific chapters: one specifically for parents and one specifically for students, is where her book delivers more than one might expect. Just as most college books are wrapping up with “Congratulations, you were accepted, here is what you do next,” Carolyn is just getting started. She includes incredible life skills, parenting advice, and my favorite the idea of being a “polar bear parent,” – you’ll have to read the book yourself for the inside scoop on that.
Every family with high school students should have this book on their shelf at home. I wish I had it four years ago!
Carolyn’s name may sound familiar as she was a guest on my podcast! In that episode she discussed being star-shaped when it comes to Extra Curriculars (ECs) and dives into her star-shaped philosophy in her book as well.
All College Topic Podcast Episodes:
- My Child’s College Major – I don’t love it!
- Top advice from Ursinus College’s Admission and Financial Aid Counselors
- I picked my college – now what? A checklist for you!
- How to handle your child leaving home (for college and other life events)
- Extracurriculars with Guest: AdmissionsMom
- The Scholarship Shark podcast: A Conversation with College Moms
- With my Child Heading to College, Are the thoughts I am having normal?
- What are you making grades mean?
- The First Semester Transition: What to Expect and How Mom Can Help
- Medium Article: What to Expect When Your College Freshman Comes Home for Thanksgiving Break
- College Move-In Day: Tips & Helpful Items
You are preparing for the empty nest ahead as your child(ren) prepares, heads off to, and experiences college.